Friday 27 June 2008

My bikes


From left to right - Trek 3900 hardtail, Trek 7200 Hybrid, Nashbar 6000R

The 3900 hardtail is mainly used for short spins of 25kms or less. I just can't seem to get used to the 42/34/24 chainset! It is a nice, comfortable ride. I have replaced the tyres with 26" x 1.5" semi-slicks. Bought in 2007

The 7200 hybrid - anything over about 25kms. I rode a touring bike for years with a 48/36 chainset so I am more accustomed to the 48/38/28 but I think the twist grip (SRAM MRX Comp) will have to go. The suspension seat post took a bit of getting used to. I bought my first 7200 in April 2008 but was written off about a month later after a Bangkok bus customised it! The present one was bought in May 2008.

The Nasbar 6000R has been with me since 1993, it was originally supplied with a SunTour groupset but was replaced with a Campagnolo Avanti groupset and Campagnolo Omega rims. This bike has done in excess of 100,000 kms and now lives in semi-retirement. The bike was rebuilt by my good friend and mentor, Alan Booth, who sadly passed away in September 2006 and I want to keep it in its present condition as a tribute to Alan.

1 comment:

fred said...

I am much more of a casual biker. I tend to exercise in the early morning when it is cooler than afternoons. My favourite ride is 20 km. and it takes me on average about 45 mins. I bought a GT hybrid bike about 7 years ago now and have been quite happy with it.....never was interested in off-road, and mountain bikes are hard going on the road. I have a small sprung seat post too.... and one day I got home and fell off because my foot stuck on the pedal clip. It twisted the seat-post slightly and i never bothered to get it fixed because I like it that way....the saddle twists left and right slightly with the action of pedaling by my bum...so instead of my bum getting rubbed by the seat, the seat moves with it!
I'm up in Chiangmai province...